Start a Child Custody Investigation
After a divorce, separation, or during a custody case, it is important to make sure your child is safe and being treated properly. If you suspect your child is being mistreated, hire a private investigator to legally document the situation, so that it can legally be presented in court. If you want to make sure your child is safe and being treated with the care they deserve, call Ciccotti & Buckley in the Hampton Roads region today for a free consultation.
Private investigators during a child wellbeing investigation will look for things like:
- Alcohol abuse
- Criminal activity
- Reckless driving
- If the living space is clean and safe
- If the child is getting emotional support and other necessities
How Does a Child Custody Investigation Work?
When a private investigator undertakes a child custody investigation, the overall goal is to use surveillance to ascertain how a parent or guardian is treating their child. The specific techniques that are utilized vary by specific case, but it typically involves some of the following practices:
- Data analysis — Publicly available data is analyzed, like social media.
- Criminal records check — Checking for a history of things like drug abuse and crime will help the court understand the parent or guardian’s character and past patterns of behavior.
- Surveillance — We will record videos, audio, and take photos to document potential child abuse or negelct.
- Question witnesses — We will speak with family members and other relevant people to get as accurate an understanding of what is going on as possible.
A typical investigation involves an investigator assessing the treatment of a child by his or her parents; or surveillance of the child’s location/supervision during custody by one parent (under what conditions the noncustodial parent is spending time with the child). The conclusion of the investigator is then reported to the court (or your attorney) and used in custody evaluations. When going through a divorce, a child custody investigation will provide reliable evidence without bias. What is more, if the results are for some reason problematic, our investigator will not only turn in a report, but will also testify in court.
At Ciccotti & Buckley, our investigators see the safety of the child as our number one priority. We are able to provide objective observation of a child’s wellbeing and treatment. This service is usually needed as part of a divorce, separation, or custody case. Contact us today for your child custody case consultation if you are in any of the following locations in the Hampton Roads or greater Richmond area region. All contact is strictly confidential.